Thursday 1 November 2012

Halloween Baking

Happy Halloween! Halloween is one of my favourite days of the year; scary movies, dressing up and, to me, baking!

My friend Ryan and I decided to bake oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and decorate them in a scary theme. You can use any cookie or cupcake recipe you want. I choose oatmeal cookies because they are are a good base and you can add any Favourite ingredient you want: chocolate chips, raisins, cranberries, walnuts...so good!

I took the recipe off of here and added skor chocolate bits for a different flavour. The recipe makes about 6-8 dozen so we decide to personalize the decorating by giving each cookie to a specific friend.
Of course we made a huge mess (I dropped the hand blender on the floor and it took us about 10 minutes to pick it up because it turned on and was going crazy). But all in all they turned out great and we had a blast attempting to be pastry chefs in our decorating phase.

Baking is a great way for people to bond or even a great therapy to bake something yourself. I like the challenge of mastering new recipes or altering old traditional ones. I learned to bake through my Nonna, helping her bake Italian cookies (which she always seems to have a fresh batch when I'm over) and I learned to cook through my Dad (and nowadays the lovely Food Network). I try to find a new recipe every week and attempt to do it--yes sometimes they totally suck but now and again I'll find a recipe that I will continue using for a long time to come!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Tip for chewy cookies: make sure when you cream together the butter and sugar that there are no lumps at all!
We packaged up some cookies to give to family and friends!
My pumpkins kinda look like carrots, but still fun to bake and delicious to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment